About Our Shrines and Statues
The Sacred Heart of Jesus
The statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which stands at the left of our Blessed Mother’s Altar, is a reproduction of the statue which used to be in the old Saint Tarcissus Church. The arms of Christ are outstretched to embrace all of us in the warmth of His Divine Love. As lovers of Christ we must be devoted to His Sacred Heart.
In 1674, our Divine Lord appeared to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque at Paray-le-Monial, France. He showed her His adorable Heart and said: “Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It has spared Itself nothing even to being exhausted and consumed to prove to them Its love; and in return I receive from most men only ingratitude by their irreverences and sacrileges and by the coldness and contempt they show towards Me in the Sacrament of Love“.
The Heart of Jesus is broken and we so often are the ones that break His Heart. And yet what wonderful promises He has made to those who will acknowledge His Love and make it burn in their souls. These are some of the promises He made to St. Margaret Mary:
- “I promise thee in the excessive Mercy of My Divine Heart, that Its all-powerful love will grant the grace of final repentance to all who communicate on the first Fridays of nine consecutive months; that they shall not die in My displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments, for My Divine Heart will become their secure refuge at that last moment.”
- “As for persons living in the world, they will find by means ofthis devotion all the helps necessary for their state, such as peace in their families, refreshment in their labors, the blessing of heaven in all their undertakings, consolation in their troubles; and it is truly in this Heart, that they will find their refuge during life and above all at the hour of death.”
- “Assuring me that He took a singular pleasure in being honored under the figure of this human Heart, the picture of which He wished to be exposed in public, He promised me… that wherever this picture should be exposed in order to be singularly honored, it would draw down every sort of blessing.”
- “He then confirmed His assurance that the pleasure He takes in being loved, known, and honored by His creatures is so great that, if I mistake not, He promised me that all who will be devoted and consecrated to It shall never perish.”
- “Fear nothing, I will reign in spite of My enemies, and of all who woudl oppose My Kingdom. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but not the fulfillment of My Words. This amiable Heart will reign in spite of Satan! Yes, this Divine Heart will reign in spite of those who would oppose it.”
O Sacred Heart of Jesus, we implore, that we may ever love Thee more and more.